00:00
00:00

Full Art now in Feed!

3,500 Views | 88 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Big update: We now show full art pieces in your feed, instead of thumbnails!

You can click the art itself to view the full-resolution version, or click the title underneath to visit the dedicated art view page. We’ve included a button to favorite the art and another button to read and write reviews and/or submit a score without leaving your feed.

Newgrounds has several feed variants so I’m gonna dive into that real quick.

When you’re logged in, the bell in the header bar is your notifications feed; this doesn’t include content from people you follow, just interactions where other users have engaged with you.

The Feed link in the header is a mega-feed that includes content from people you follow but also has community activity such as what your friends are talking about in the forums. If you follow a lot of people and have a lot of friends, this can be information overkill.

From the Feed page, the column on the left has links to specific sub-categories. My personal preference is the Favorite Artists Feed, which is new content and blogs by people you follow.

I also really like the Audio Feed, which is only new audio by people you follow. If you click an audio thumbnail here, it will play the song in-page. When the song ends, it will continue to the next one. I can listen to this feed all day in the background.

With today’s update, you will want to check out the Art Feed, where you can browse all the art by artists you follow without ever leaving the feed.

When you follow people on NG, you’ll see a box on the front page with “Latest From Your Friends & Favorites” - I often click the “More” link there to get direct access to the Favorite Artists Feed. This might be the most important button on NG and it’s kinda hidden. There’s a big question of whether the NG front page itself should be your favorite artists feed but that would be a big break from tradition. Would you prefer it?

If you’re an artist, musician or developer here on the site, I’d also recommend making a blog post to update everyone on what you’ve been up to! We revamped the blog tools last week and you can include tags in your post now. The more tagging is put to proper use, the better it should be for everyone.

If you enjoy the ongoing updates, please consider becoming a supporter!

We’d like to work towards reducing the ads on NG and a good start would be to remove ads completely from art view pages. If we hit 4,000 supporters this year and remain above that number, we could remove the third party ads from art pages and have a single supporter promo in their place. If you’re an artist and like this idea, please consider paying $3 per month to become a supporter! We need almost 1,500 new supporters to get there and I think that is very doable. It would be great to get there sooner vs later to keep all this momentum going! Supporters get to browse the entire site ad-free right out the gate, too.

Be sure to check out the Best of January if you missed it!

@Fro just announced the winners of the Monthly Writing Contest, as well!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 10:49:16

nice

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 11:18:40

It's a really great update, Tom! When Pixel Day results will be announced by the way?

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 11:19:39

HYPE

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 11:44:08

At 2/12/19 11:18 AM, Wolod wrote: It's a really great update, Tom! When Pixel Day results will be announced by the way?

Waiting on some art judging still but shouldn’t be too much longer!

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 11:46:37

Now the word feed looks weird

Good.

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 11:49:13

At 2/12/19 10:45 AM, TomFulp wrote: Big update: We now show full art pieces in your feed, instead of thumbnails!

You can click the art itself to view the full-resolution version, or click the title underneath to visit the dedicated art view page. We’ve included a button to favorite the art and another button to read and write reviews and/or submit a score without leaving your feed.

When you’re logged in, the bell in the header bar is your notifications feed; this doesn’t include content from people you follow, just interactions where other users have engaged with you.

The Feed link in the header is a mega-feed that includes content from people you follow but also has community activity such as what your friends are talking about in the forums. If you follow a lot of people and have a lot of friends, this can be information overkill.

From the Feed page, the column on the left has links to specific sub-categories. My personal preference is the Favorite Artists Feed, which is new content and blogs by people you follow.

I also really like the Audio Feed, which is only new audio by people you follow. If you click an audio thumbnail here, it will play the song in-page. When the song ends, it will continue to the next one. I can listen to this feed all day in the background.

With today’s update, you will want to check out the Art Feed, where you can browse all the art by artists you follow without ever leaving the feed.

When you follow people on NG, you’ll see a box on the front page with “Latest From Your Friends & Favorites” - I often click the “More” link there to get direct access to the Favorite Artists Feed. This might be the most important button on NG and it’s kinda hidden. There’s a big question of whether the NG front page itself should be your favorite artists feed but that would be a big break from tradition. Would you prefer it?

If you’re an artist, musician or developer here on the site, I’d also recommend making a blog post to update everyone on what you’ve been up to! We revamped the blog tools last week and you can include tags in your post now. The more tagging is put to proper use, the better it should be for everyone.

We’d like to work towards reducing the ads on NG and a good start would be to remove ads completely from art view pages. If we hit 4,000 supporters this year and remain above that number, we could remove the third party ads from art pages and have a single supporter promo in their place. If you’re an artist and like this idea, please consider paying $3 per month to become a supporter! We need almost 1,500 new supporters to get there and I think that is very doable. It would be great to get there sooner vs later to keep all this momentum going! Supporters get to browse the entire site ad-free right out the gate, too.

Nice, i dont like it on my phone though.... is there a way to turn it off?

a deep thinking fucko that thinks, known to try things but be too lazy to pursue them

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 11:53:13

At 2/12/19 10:45 AM, TomFulp wrote: Big update: We now show full art pieces in your feed, instead of thumbnails!

Hello Tom Fulp, will there be a blur nsfw images for this new artist feed? Right now when you open artist feed, without warning you can be introduced to some lewd images. I understand that nsfw is a welcome part of newgrounds and if I don't want to see nsfw images, I shouldn't subscribe to artists who happen to draw it or even be on newgrounds but I love their artstyles. It was kind of avoidable before but now I probably can't open artist feed lol.

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 12:01:53

At 2/12/19 11:53 AM, Rosziv wrote:

Hello Tom Fulp, will there be a blur nsfw images for this new artist feed? Right now when you open artist feed, without warning you can be introduced to some lewd images. I understand that nsfw is a welcome part of newgrounds and if I don't want to see nsfw images, I shouldn't subscribe to artists who happen to draw it or even be on newgrounds but I love their artstyles. It was kind of avoidable before but now I probably can't open artist feed lol.

We’re gonna apply the ratings filters to the feed but eventually might want to consider blur options too.

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 12:10:55

I'd have liked a heads up on disabling audio hotlinking, that was an awful lot of videos i had to change the descriptions for all of a sudden.

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 12:23:37

At 2/12/19 12:10 PM, AliceMako wrote: I'd have liked a heads up on disabling audio hotlinking, that was an awful lot of videos i had to change the descriptions for all of a sudden.

Were these direct download links posted in YouTube commentary? Sounds like it might be an unintended consequence of trying to stop sites that were deep linking content but need to see exactly what went wrong there.

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 12:23:51

I love the frontpage being separate, evem whem logged in. I find a lot of cool content that way and the frontpage awards would have less emphasis without it

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 12:26:24

At 2/12/19 12:23 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/12/19 12:10 PM, AliceMako wrote: I'd have liked a heads up on disabling audio hotlinking, that was an awful lot of videos i had to change the descriptions for all of a sudden.
Were these direct download links posted in YouTube commentary? Sounds like it might be an unintended consequence of trying to stop sites that were deep linking content but need to see exactly what went wrong there.

No in the actual video description box, they'd lead to a page playing a robo voice saying hotlinks were disabled and to please visit the website proper for the content, so i trust some thought had gone into that.

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 12:26:25

At 2/12/19 12:23 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: I love the frontpage being separate, evem whem logged in. I find a lot of cool content that way and the frontpage awards would have less emphasis without it

Additionally on mobile i can write reviews but not just rate? I still have to click and open the art page. Also how does this system track views? Will we see an overall decrease if users dont leave the feed?

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 12:30:13

At 2/12/19 12:26 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 2/12/19 12:23 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: I love the frontpage being separate, evem whem logged in. I find a lot of cool content that way and the frontpage awards would have less emphasis without it
Additionally on mobile i can write reviews but not just rate? I still have to click and open the art page. Also how does this system track views? Will we see an overall decrease if users dont leave the feed?

What happens when you try to just click a score? Should be able to leave a score and close the lightbox.

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 12:32:51

Oh forgot to answer second part - a view is tracked if you get to the art in your feed, so view totals should rise as a result.

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 12:57:40 (edited 2019-02-12 12:59:33)

At 2/12/19 10:45 AM, TomFulp wrote: There’s a big question of whether the NG front page itself should be your favorite artists feed but that would be a big break from tradition. Would you prefer it?

My personal preference: A clear No. This is what separates NG from other social sites. I want to see new stuff, not things I already am aware of. Plus, I do not have that many people I follow, so for me, that feed would look rather boring. I presume, I am not the only one. The discovery value of the front page is huge as it is. I would even prefer to have a larger section like the portal being more on top.

Aside from that. Hurray for more art!

You find Let's Plays in German of some Flash games here on Newgrounds on my YouTube channel

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 13:37:47

Glad to hear Newgrounds is improving with this update. I'll check it out now.

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 13:52:12

At 2/12/19 12:32 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Oh forgot to answer second part - a view is tracked if you get to the art in your feed, so view totals should rise as a result.

Good to hear that didnt throw a wrench in it all. Seems the backend is well prepared over the years for Some good change

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 13:53:44

At 2/12/19 12:30 PM, TomFulp wrote:
What happens when you try to just click a score? Should be able to leave a score and close the lightbox.

I'm more refering to the initial mockup on Twitter with the rating bar embedded in the feed itself. I havent been on a desktop all day so if it's supposed to be prevent it may just be mobile NG that lacks it.

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 13:55:41

I'm more refering to the initial mockup on Twitter with the rating bar embedded in the feed itself. I havent been on a desktop all day so if it's supposed to be prevent it may just be mobile NG that lacks it.

Ah it doesn’t have the vote bar from that mock-up. Not sure if we’ll do that part yet.

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 14:14:46

Can we get a plug for the writing competition winners Tom?

I like it, looks great.

I never noticed this before. This is a great way of checking things out.

I wouldn't recommend doing this as I enjoy finding new things that I wouldn't have noticed before.

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 14:43:15

Wow really nice update with the art feed ! Love it !

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 14:47:27

At 2/12/19 02:14 PM, Fro wrote: Can we get a plug for the writing competition winners Tom?

d'Oh! I had prepped this at the office yesterday in Notepad then made the post from home this morning because we were getting ice and freezing rain. Updated now!

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 15:02:44

I do think the traditional "Latest From Your Friends & Favorites" is at its best like this.

Drink coffee,be coffee .

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 15:16:08

Nice! It's great to see positive changes being made to the site

Add me on Steam || I don't want your goddamn lettuce

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 15:19:26

Ohhhh i didn't even know about the feed, that should be a little more promanent imo.

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 15:39:51

whoa, I didn't even know there was an art feed. This is awesome! Also, will the art feed log the views? I think maybe it should? Still, rad as heck to have a scrollable art feed.

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 15:41:33

At 2/12/19 03:39 PM, deathink wrote: whoa, I didn't even know there was an art feed. This is awesome! Also, will the art feed log the views? I think maybe it should? Still, rad as heck to have a scrollable art feed.

Yup, it logs the views! Assuming nothing is broken there, of course.

BBS Signature

Response to Full Art now in Feed! 2019-02-12 16:09:47

Hey Tom, great update, you're really cranking these up. I don't wanna jinx anything, but hopefully now, when new artists come over, they won't see the site as outdated. Could bring in a lot of new people. I really hope the supporter goal will be reached. Even though it dropped from its peak at the height of the Tumblr migration, it's still higher than it was before it. About half are monthly, too, so it's not just people who pledged for a year and might stop when that's over. We've gained a lot of new people. The art portal seems much more diverse and active now.

Anyways, about the front page favorites, that's a big no from me. The front page is great for exposing new people. If it's from friends or favorites, you'll find it one way or another anyways. Keep it up, Tom!

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature